This year, Governor Cuomo and the New York State Legislature enacted the nation’s first tuition-free degree program, the Excelsior Scholarship.The Scholarship is making college possible for hundreds of thousands of students across the state and helping to alleviate the crushing burden of student debt. A college education is increasingly necessary to secure the jobs of tomorrow, and the Excelsior Scholarship ensures New York’s students have access to a quality education and the skills they need to succeed. The Scholarship is available to students enrolled at SUNY or CUNY school for the fall of 2017.
In order to apply, students must:
• Be residents of New York State
• Plan to attend a SUNY or CUNY two- or four-year degree program
• Take 30 credits per year and make progress towards graduation
• Maintain good academic standing
• Be on track to graduate on time with an Associate’s Degree in two years or a Bachelor’s Degree in four years
The program goes into effect immediately, and is available for students whose families earn up to $100,000 annually beginning in the fall 2017. It will extend to families making up to $125,000 annually by 2019. Find more information in this fact sheet.
The application deadline is July 21. Please help spread the word, click here to learn more, and text COLLEGE to 81336 for updates.